Saturday, June 18, 2011

Athans Holiday

Can't afford a Roman Holiday - the society of medical providers have their hand in my pocket book.  But I live in such a beautiful place and I can travel on line.  Thank goodness there isn't smell-o-vision.  Did a day trip to Grants  Pass for Sushi and drove the Applegate to pick up my summer wine club release.  My beautiful day started at the sample counters at COSTCO.  Just traveling the world of tasty cheeses, sausages and tri-tip beef.  Can't beat the hors'devours in fluted paper cups served by post menopausal blue hairs hawking their wares extracted from well traveled microwaves and steamers.  The congested aisles of over sized shopping carts remind me of city traffic, minus the round-a-bout.

I'm having a problem explaining my wrapped hand/arm. When people ask what happened I hesitate and see the "Ooops" in their eyes.  I try to pass it off with a quick explanation, but sometimes get sucked in to a prolonged empathetic story about a friend, a family member . . . or a "I've never seen anything like this".

Tommy and I tried coming up with a clever response - he kept coming up with "I got bit by a (insert weird animal here). I just tell them, it doesn't hurt, it's just a lymphedema compression bandage. That is usually followed by a pause and a "Oh" . The darn thing keeps creeping down my arm and is D R I V I N G   M E
C R A Z Y . 

Talk about clumsy, try using chop stick with the Michelin Man Hand.

5 comments:

  1. I just plopped down $50 & joined Costco. I grabbed one of those (on steroids) grocery baskets and started my quest for bargains. What I didn’t realize was I would need a flatbed truck to get most purchases home. I walked out with a box of (I think about a thousand) granola bars, a giant bag of pretzels chips & a tub of dishwashing soap. What was I thinking! What would I do with a gallon of mustard, ketchup or Mayo, and where would I store it? Now if it were a Liquor Barn………

    Arm wrap slippage? Gosh, that’s a tough one.

    I head for the airport in a few minutes. The house is cleaned, and the cat sitters are in place - Cressida has the morning meal shift and a hired graduate student the evening meal. Their job has been simplified because our elder cat - Momma-Cat was lovingly put to sleep last Thursday. She had been ailing for several months & required special meal attention. Showing clear signs that she was suffering and her quality life had deteriorated, we knew it was time to say good-bye. It was very hard but the right thing to do. And then there were three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad about Mama cat. Peace to her. >..<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, knowing you, it hasn't stop you for a moment, awkward but going strong....
    I just spent 8 hrs facing jury duty on a cop/gang criminal case (6 wks) almost had my butt in the jury seat, prosecutor didn't like one of my remarks and let me go whew....I don't think they would have understood I had to be at a woodpecker meeting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, have you seen that big ass chocolate cake at Costco that taunts everyone who walks past? Well, I think I finally have a good excuse to buy one. It will be perfect for celebrating all our summer and fall birthdays!!! Got milk?

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only do I got MILK, I look like a cow. Gotta shed somr winter poundage - you know those black and white stripped full body bathing suits from the 20's? Well mine is snug. Good Grief.

    ReplyDelete