Much to his own surprise Joey cornered a grey fox munching sun flower seeds on our deck. To my knowledge this was his second encounter. He had no intention of getting into a tussle but found himself face to face with this screeching fox when all he wanted to do is signal me his interests to be inside. It's cold out and he's a short haired cat.
The night before I was awaken by a new sound. Wild. It sounded like a warning. I rose and looked out my window knowing all well that the dark wouldn't reveal the source. Concerned I went downstairs and turned on the back porch light. All I saw was Joey, sitting quietly looking out into the dark with BIG green eyes. I opened the door and he reluctantly stepped inside. We went upstairs. Joey revealed nothing. He slept.
At night Joey adventures outside and, well, he's Joey. When he wants back in he knows he'll find us in the family room and goes around to the double doors on the front side of the house and stands tall. We usually hear him before we see him. Squeak, squeak, on the glass. He's in. On this particular night, however, he encountered a grey fox, the size of a large cat, helping himself to the bird seed we put out for the local avian families. And it's then we discover the source of that wild sound, the warning. I turn on the overhead beams and in the corner, with nowhere to go but down one flight was this creature. The sound was more fitting for a large bird of prey. Weird and scared. I saw Joey and went to the other double doors and called him inside. He hesitated, but came in and quickly turned around to view, from the other side of the glass, the little fox run the length of the deck, leap over the railing and disappear. This guy knows the lay of the land. He's been here before. He knew there is a sizable distance between the rail and solid ground - without even a turn of the head - gone.
Tom and I were excited. We have a grey fox. Who knew that bird seed would give us so much entertainment. But, unfortunately it's probably not a good idea to invite wild guests to our home so we decide to make sure the seeds are only out during the early morning hours. It's winter. These are long hair nights for a short haired cat.
Fox in the neighborhood.....is exactly why we herd our cats into the house before sundown each and every night!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteTalk about your silver haired Foxes, I had unpleasant encounter yesterday with a couple of do gooder foxes one of which I'm very close to. It seems there is a chip in my tile from years past (drop a liter of wine, it happens!) My fox decides it needs to be fixed, NOW? its been there forever I just forgot to cover it up with dab of paint. Oh yeah the door bells not working and the fire alert alarms need new batteries and the furnace filters need changing, my Fox is determined this is the DAY!
ReplyDeleteNot to mention he has a early Dr. App't. He calls in another Fox, Joe, to give him a hand,
Joe's is chipping away trying to lift up tile to replace, while destroying three others, My Fox is on a ladder trying to shut off the fire alarm that activated due being raped of its battery, doesn't want to fit back in..guess we'll have to wait for the Boy Scouts to come by next time the're doing community service,meanwhile Fox 2 is still trying to pull off the tile another one bites the dust... Fox 1 has now moved on to the doorbell, yelp lets pull it out of its socket in the wall and on front porch, hmm doesn't want to work? lets leave it hanging move on to the furnace filter, climb up the ladder again, holding my breath that he doen't fall, swearing & cussing at the filter "Doesn't fit" apparently we have the only odd size vent in town, NOT. So lets just leave it dangling, Oh god know not the scissors.....Meanwhile Fox 2 has given up on the tile leaving behind dust a gouged out tile with three others chipped, Fox 1 cries out I got to run, I'm meeting Bob Sefing at Bob's Pit Stop for lunch, I thought it was Dr's appt? Before my Fox slinks off to clean up and dress for his app't, he concedes that he has to call someone in to fix the damage caused by this morning "House Chores" we'll see Jose in about a week! Hope he knocks, doesn't ring the door bell!
My fox has the prefect solution to any/all home project that can't be completed by me - M o n e y!
ReplyDeleteWith our catalog of well used professional business cards - we get things done around here for a fraction of the cost of a divorce! /;-}
WP #1 had to postpone a visit to #5 because her fox was up a ladder, with a right handed saw in his left. Panic doesn't even cover the range of emotions. :)
ReplyDeleteJust got back from the tundra (Eastern WI) and I would have loved to have seen a fox...or any other living thing.
ReplyDeleteHey #4, it's so nice to see you blogging. Give your domestic fox a big hug for me. You get one too. (( 00 ))
ReplyDelete