I guess I have the jingle-berry blues. The holidays are just another work day for me. I have not dragged out the Christmas tree, I have not sorted through ornaments and table toppers, I have not untangled strings of lights or blown up a giant lawn-man or dressed Joey up as an reindeer. No I haven't, but I did do this:
Trying my best to conjure up the holiday spirit I decided to heed to the call of happy co-workers and participate in the Tacky Holiday sweater contest. Sweater less and not willing to fork out the dollars for a real tacky sweater (that I'd wear just this once - I'm getting too practical) I kept an open mind and wandering eye out for a suitable (and this is a pun) alternative. Something that said "yeah, I'm jolly - a little".
The contest was arranged by our managers and was to take place at the Administrative offices at our monthly leadership meeting. CEO, Directors etc. etc..... I had to be part of the team. What I didn't know (this always happens to me) the contest was moved to another meeting. I did not get this message. I did, however, receive a lovely poster of a thin gentleman wearing a tacky holiday sweater announcing the (incorrect) date of this happy event. The event was still posted to my electronic calendar in GMail and I received a prompt reminder via the Internet. You see, I'm the only manager who doesn't work/live within a 10 mile radios of Administration. I'm in another county, another world as far as most are concerned. Soooo Ooops!
Meanwhile while secret squirrel was rearranging plans I was busy looking for my Alternative Tacky Sweater. It came to me during a quick trip to (yes, you guessed it, WalMart) to pick up some special ointments and creams for my clients. There it was, in the men's department - the only one, size LARGE. YES! and it's only $5. It's mine.
So the morning preparation included donning my healed black ankle boots, a pair of black Vera Wang ski slacks and my Giant T-Shirt painted like a Santa suit - Red with white trim, painted black belt and huge gold buckle at my middle. In small festive Holiday typeface were the words "does this suit make me look fat?" I added a little bling - necklace of tiny tree lights and a Gold Reindeer pendant. Didn't have a hat. I looked cute.
On the road my cell phone beckoned me. I knew I had to answer it at this time of day, it had to be work related. So I pulled off the freeway and into a parking lot and received the dreaded voice mail message from my boss. "The State Licensing Board is going to be at your (work) house in 30 minutes". All the way from Salem, the critical three were enjoying their morning coffee while I panicked and turned my vehicle around and headed south to my work residence. My first state inspection.
I had just enough time before they arrived to do a my own quick whirlwind inspection, picking up wet towels, wiping off a counter, inspect the medication charts and cabinet. Saw that my clients were awake, fed and dressed, the place looked fantastic!! DING DONG
So there I was, in my Santa Elf-like outfit greeting the licensing crew. I decided to make the best of it and swung the door open wide with a big "Welcome" and a wide sweeping hand gesture I beckoned them in. I set them up with a nice folding table (with holiday table cloth, I might add) and served them hot cocoa in my office and left them to do what they do. A Jamaica Christmas CD on the the stereo. One client and I busied ourselves making holiday greeting cards while the family of another client played kickball in the front entry way. Client 3 laughed at the Christmas tree lights and played with her toy instruments. Staff were busy folding laundry, making breakfast and doing what they do. It was a very merry place. I decided to not explain myself and just let it (my outfit) be.
Three hours later the crew left. They were pleased, happy and full of hot cocoa. Not only did I pass licensing, I was given high praise and complimented on my organization and solid paperwork, attention to detail and compliance. This is a rare thing. My boss and Behavior Specialist arrived just in time to hear the compliments. The state had no questions for them - which is unusual. They marched out eager to get on the road home.
Later that day an organization wide Email announced that my house not only passed inspection it had exceeded all expectations and the state never before had such a pleasant experience.
This little Elf is in the holiday spirit.
You rock!
ReplyDeleteHooray for Annie; mixing her hard work & professionalism with a twist of comic humor. By the way, love the Santa-T. It was a nice touch, even if unintended for the inspection! Now if your employer would just back up that stellar report with a little red sack full of green…..bonus money that is! Ho-ho-oh, I forgot, you’re not a CEO. Well then, enjoy your company logo coffee mug gift, or is it the company logo umbrella this year? Now get going with preparing for Feastivus. I recommend staring with dusting off those little reindeer antlers for Joey!
ReplyDeleteHooray for Annie; mixing her hard work & professionalism with a twist of comic humor. By the way, love the Santa-T. It was a nice touch, even if unintended for the inspection! Now if your employer would just back up that stellar report with a little red sack full of green…..bonus money that is! Ho-ho-oh, I forgot, you’re not a CEO. Well then, enjoy your company logo coffee mug gift, or is it the company logo umbrella this year? Now get going with preparing for Feastivus. I recommend staring with dusting off those little reindeer antlers for Joey!
ReplyDeleteOops, a double whammy post - the system said your blog site was not found when I attempted to post my response. Well apparently not! So, I'll take this system glitch opportunity to also say I like your style!
ReplyDeleteI knew I should have given you Mom's brown xmas sweater with the cute little scottish dogs w/plaid ties, that zipped up the front!(eeegads where did she get that?) Your creation sounded so much more festive and in the spirit, can we expect photo Christmas cards?
ReplyDeleteProud of you sis,your work ethics have always been top notch, If you have to do it you are going to do it right, god dam it!
I organized the Potluck WVB Xmas party, as a competetive bunch I arranged Minute to Win It Xmas games, Christmas Cliffhanger, Face the Gingerbread Man, Jingle in your Trunk, Reindeer Nose dive, Hmmm now whos running the asylum..
Home of the bedazzled sweatshirt galore.
Annie, Can you run for president? Now we'll have to hide your xmas sweatshirt,but I know someone. Love you
ReplyDelete