The winter rains arrive. Splash, flood, wind, calm, chill. . . . . ahhh. . . a little winter sun. The local news broadcasts the weather like its nuclear fallout. Updates every fifteen minuets are transmitted to our windowless bunkers. Global details in all the colors of the rainbow highlighting the highs and lows, winds gusts and tropical fronts. Special teams of reporters gather their gear and stand strong against the elements to bring us a visual reminder that we have weather. These Special Ops reveal their identity with a "this is Guy Mann reporting" before each tale of mother natures furry for the record just in case they are swept away, caught up in the tide surge or ragging swell of a local creek. And those lucky to survive, again make their identity known with a repeat announcement to include their name and broadcasting station. Important information. Back at HQ the diagrams take on a clownish comical appearance with dancing clouds and cartoon lightning bolts. These visuals must be for the kids. The days of the week are lined up in columns with happy faces, sad faces and dark cloudy faces. The days temperature in COMIC SANS type, puffy & in bright colors. If we're expecting wind, a little cloud blows an invisible gust causing the happy face to brace itself and grimace. Me? I watch and listen with little interest. I get distracted by the ill fitting clothes of the local reporter, or her bad haircut. I Giggle at the absurdity of the notion anyone cares about the high pressure over Canada or the swirling jet steam in the Pacific. Everything I need to know about today's weather I get from my cat. The winter rains arrived: Joey is wet. The wind is strong: Joey won't go out. Joey complains: its cold, wet and windy. When he comes in he brushes his tail against my leg and I can prepare for the day.
Saturday, January 21, 2012
Send out the weather cat!
The winter rains arrive. Splash, flood, wind, calm, chill. . . . . ahhh. . . a little winter sun. The local news broadcasts the weather like its nuclear fallout. Updates every fifteen minuets are transmitted to our windowless bunkers. Global details in all the colors of the rainbow highlighting the highs and lows, winds gusts and tropical fronts. Special teams of reporters gather their gear and stand strong against the elements to bring us a visual reminder that we have weather. These Special Ops reveal their identity with a "this is Guy Mann reporting" before each tale of mother natures furry for the record just in case they are swept away, caught up in the tide surge or ragging swell of a local creek. And those lucky to survive, again make their identity known with a repeat announcement to include their name and broadcasting station. Important information. Back at HQ the diagrams take on a clownish comical appearance with dancing clouds and cartoon lightning bolts. These visuals must be for the kids. The days of the week are lined up in columns with happy faces, sad faces and dark cloudy faces. The days temperature in COMIC SANS type, puffy & in bright colors. If we're expecting wind, a little cloud blows an invisible gust causing the happy face to brace itself and grimace. Me? I watch and listen with little interest. I get distracted by the ill fitting clothes of the local reporter, or her bad haircut. I Giggle at the absurdity of the notion anyone cares about the high pressure over Canada or the swirling jet steam in the Pacific. Everything I need to know about today's weather I get from my cat. The winter rains arrived: Joey is wet. The wind is strong: Joey won't go out. Joey complains: its cold, wet and windy. When he comes in he brushes his tail against my leg and I can prepare for the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ha -the cat picture!! My cats spend very little time outdoors in bad weather. In winter I clear enough snow in the backyard to accommodate those occasions when their instincts prevail. They’ll pick their way to the cleared spot on the bench and sniff the air for potential prey. Unsuccessful, they immediately return to the ‘magic’ door (it opens with no effort on their part - meow) to continue their self-imposed mock-hibernation.
ReplyDeleteI marvel at how folks around here respond to predicted ‘severe weather’ warnings announced on the local television channels. You can count on the schools & local government offices to take the word of these weather folks & immediately report their closings. The postal service & private business’ take a more pragmatic approach, they monitor the weather situation up & until ‘bad weather’ is assured before reporting delays, cancellations & closures. Just this morning, I was shoveling a half inch of ice, topped by two inches of snow from our side walk & driveway when our postman surprised me with his ever cheerful salutation. I was surprised because he was right on his regular delivery schedule even though an overnight severe weather warning was issued. I suppose there are city salt trucks & snow removal going on somewhere in the city but not as yet on our street – its remains as white as the driven snow. The other thing that gets me is when bad weather is predicted everyone runs to their local grocery store & buys up ALL the milk and eggs! What’s that about - bad weather triggers the need for a soufflé? For me, when bad weather is eminent, I check our in-house stock of wine and snacks!
our reporters look like they just came from the bar ,it so distracts me I forget all about the weather
ReplyDeleteDo you have a cat? they're never wrong.
ReplyDeleteOur cat Friendship pretty much holds up in the house all winter,if she knows what up she not telling
ReplyDeleteMs. M.F., So your cat thinks So. Cal winters are rough. Huh. My cats are jealous of you cat.
ReplyDeleteWell, I have to tell you I have pretty upset dog and fox. Ca. 40 minute rainstorm ruined their wknd. Dog missed his cart ride and walk back from bocce court, silver fox missed out ol his Bocce club guys play & bloody Mary's celebrating his 85th birthday. You would have thought the end of the world was going to come down. Try again nxt wk. 5liters of bloody Mary's marinating in the fridge.
ReplyDeleteLove your description of the weather report. I am not sure the graphics are created for kids -- kids would be insulted. Don't have a cat. I have Jim.
ReplyDelete