Saturday, January 28, 2012

Without onions

I was amused  sitting among the bearded truckers and tinted ladies in stretch jeans while enjoying  my Patty-Melt and fries.  Ahhh yes, a Patty-Melt and really good fries. Favorite delicacy of the road trip. Funny how I found myself sitting among the elderly pushing my change around the formica while my seat cushion made fart noises each time I adjusted my fanny. I believe there is a reason the menu that would typically boast "GRILLED ONIONS" with your order simply states in small print "grilled onions upon request, fifty cents". These old geezers can't handle grilled onions.  I envision the kitchen staff finally putting their fist down and saying "fine, just take the damn onions off the menu if everyone is going to order their Patty-Melt without onions."  Anyone who really knows me knows I love Patty-Melts, and hate onions and have always ordered mine without. It was like a fantasy come true. A Patty-Melt - ON THE MENU, WITHOUT ONIONS. I wait to place my order, taking little sips from a four ounce glass of ice water. The ice is smooth and melts quickly, the glass cold with tiny water droplets running down the side creating water rings on my napkin. The waitress is a classic. Pink curly shower cap hairdo, broad shoulders under a tight pink nylon uniform. Hem above the knee revealing legs that have endured the stress of being on ones feet for many years encased in thick stockings and stumped at the ankles that poured into white utility shoes. Water pitcher in one hand she reaches across the formica and quickly snatches my glass for a refill. Am I ready to order?  "Patty-Melt, please".  I'm very disappointed when she asks if I want that with or without grilled onions.  I'm tempted to respond  "For fifty cents extra?  Are you kidding? What is this world coming to? Next thing you know they'll be charging for water? Just give it to me without onions".  

But I mind my manners, and smile and request "without".  I'm a good girl.  Not quite old enough to get away with such nonsense. I'm just happy I didn't get the look, the raised eyebrow, the side smirk suggesting I was nuts ordering a Patty-Melt without.

Does anyone make Patty-Melts at home?

19 comments:

  1. Never, Monte cristos and Patty-melts are going out to eatin food ,silly girl.

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a "Patty Melt" encounter myself yesterday!, Invited to a recognition luncheon at the very chic Pechanga Resort for inserting flyers into the Oasis monthly newsletter first of every month, I ran into the dumbest waitress,ever,I was feeling very out of place, my table mates all ordered the very pricey seafood salad, sure Bea you haven't seen a green salad in many a day I'm a thinkin, so I go for it, my time to order, sweet young thing inquires, I say Patty Melt, med rare with ONIONS. She looks at me like I lost my mind and says we don't make Patty Melts, I'm perplexed along with my table companions, she advises me she "thinks" they could possibly take the Rye bread from the Reuben and a hamburger patty and grill it for me, but it would probably be additional charge, WHAT!!!! the whole table yells back at her ITS ON THE MENU! It IS? inquires the sweet young thing. So after this little Melt down...(no pun intended) the other two tables also order Patty Melts with ONION and criss cross fries. So we all settled down I with my patty melt and fries $10, table companions grazing on their $18 salads,Elaine begs for a fry from me so she can push her salad onto her fork, tired of chasing limp lettuce around her plate. Lunch is done,, our hostess Newsletter organizer tells us we made over $4000 in classified ads, what to do with it, she gave it to the general fund, and advises she'll pay the lunch bill and WE are to pay her back WHAT??? So much for feeling Special.. My table all came together in one car, as we're leaving Elaine & Bea ask Bob to stop somewhere for a burger....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty Melt, now there’s a sandwich I haven’t heard the likes of in many a-year! I guess it’s not on Pittsburgh’s radar. I remember working Saturdays with Letty at ‘Girl Things’ (remember?). We’d walk over to a diner on our lunch break. I’d ordered the Patty Melt (without onions, if you please), french fries and a coke. Oh man, melted cheese & meaty-meat fused to the inside the grilled butter-greased rye bread. Salivating! Ah, those were the days. I never thought about calories, cholesterol, not-for-fun exercising.
    Baby announcement; Cress & Dave are having a boy. Yeah, you read it right, a boy. It’s taken me a bit of time to adjust - I just assumed he would be a she! Never mind, we’re totally thrilled to have ‘buddy’ (still don’t know the name of choice) in the family.
    Back to that Patty Melt, was it made with aged cheddar or did they go with ‘liquid gold’- Velveta …….

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man. Nothing like a good Patty Melt without onions. Never heard of onions on Patty Melts, but, like the pundits always say, I "live in a bubble." I love Patty Melts and it has to be quite a celebration, or just super tired of being so god...nm diet PC all the time to order one. You are making me hungry. I am on my way... There used to be a great downtown drugstore counter near here with pink curly haired waitresses and a short order cook who had great stories about DC back in the day when it was a place to live as opposed to just a place to work. It got torn down to make way for the International Monetary Fund... Girl Things. Haven't thought about that in years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got turned down for the assistant director position of my department; the position went to go to another person in our group -- a member of the girl club that comprises our "management." Typical Drummy style, I just do the work and have far more experience managing dept operations than the clinical counselor that got the job. It is a good thing, I guess; I know where I stand. Oh well. I got my girl club right here. No other could possibly make the grade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry #4 that you lost out on the job. Work honest & hard does not appear to be a valuable commodity. The SOB that threw me under the bus had brown eyes, if you get my drift. /:-( No worries, I knew my professional ethics were stellar, thus could leave my career at some point in the dust. And yet, I wouldn't/couldn't have performed in any other way. It's who I (we) are. You go girl! \;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim's email address book has been hacked, so if you get an email from him with a questionable subject line just assume it's spam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #4 Don't let this set you back, with your ethics & good smarts you will rediscover success once more I'm sure of It.
    #3 A Boy! Snakes & snails and puppydog tails, Oh boy!
    Bummer on Jim's hacked email, not fun..

    Note to all: GRILLED ONIONS MAKE A PATTY MELT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If a Patty Melt dose not have grilled onions,it's just a sad hamburger to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear you , Mary. It's gotta have grilled onions! Do you remember when we were out in the desert and we ordered pattymelts and kitty ordered clam chowder? Those desert clams kept climbing out off her mouth and she barfed all night. I crack up every time I have clam chowder or a pattymelts with grilled onions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you ever think, we could go on about patty melts.....
    i am watching gorgeous George clooney on inside studio, be still my heart...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I loved the scenery in The Descendents and I am not talking Hawaii. Kept getting distracted by the perfect pitch silver hair. Wonder if he likes Patty Melts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patty-Melts: Apparently there are two kinds of people. Them who likes their Patty-Melts with grilled onions, and them who likes them without. Yeah, go figure we could go on and on about Patty-Melts. Kinda like talking football with the guys, only I don't get hungry talking football.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS Don't know why my bald little head keeps popping up. I must of changed a setting somewhere. Gotta get a better photo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sitting in my kitchen waiting for the usual suspects (3 runners plus Jim) to return from their Saturday morning run in the park. They'll be rewarded with a hardy breakfast of eggs, bagels, fruit and lots of coffee. While waiting, I'm listening to Pittsburgh's own WYEP's morning music channel, sipping coffee. I'm feeling so content & good that I immediately thought of you all, my sisters. Just wanted you to know....XoX

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sitting in my lounger wrapped in a blanket, surrounded bu tissues, nose dripping, headache, my sympathetic dog on my lap. Just sent norm off to bocce he finally getting to celebrate his birthday with the boys bloody Marys and real Italian sausage & peppers. I've got to get it together, expecting 100 or so tomorrow super bowl party, big screen up at the ballroom, volleyball fundraiser. #6&7 are coming maybe Lisa too. I just need to breathe....wish you all were here. Go patriots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, I'm not contageous what happen to everyone? Hope you all had a good week, perfect week hi 70's blue, blue skies.
    Great time w/Mary&Kit even though I was asked a couple of times if they were my daughters! So cute in their jeans, Kit in her pigtails, cold is finally clearing up. I'll have to start over w/zumba try to do something healthy and I get sick. Oh well life goes on in menifee. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm here, where it's 21 degrees, grey and for only the third time this winter (yeah) there is snow outside. Been busy -- I'm down to the last 250 tiles of the 3,000 piece puzzle Jim gave me for Christmas. When not hunched over the table puzzling, I was assembling a BF-20 home gym machine purchased online. It was received in four cartons - hundreds of pounds of 'pieces'. My socket wrench set in hand, I got started. Yes, it took me a week but hey, the instructions were a few words & drawings. Oops, I found two unused carriage bolts, but after rechecking the parts list I found they weren't listed. What the..... a sick joke by some bored employee? I hope so or we're in real danger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 21 degrees, eh? Maybe 30 here, a dusting of snow. I can't seem to get moving -- know I should.
      Had passport photos taken at the drugstore yesterday. Suggestion: don't ever do that. I now know what I will look like when I am 75, which isn't so far off. Spent Thurs w Jim in hospital. His procedure was only 20 mins (removing a polyp from colon) but getting over the anesthesia so he could pee took the next 10 hours. All the RNs and I shouted and high fived one another when the guy finally emerged from the bathroom with the requisite amount to leave the hospital. Such is my life.
      Anybody read the awsome article on a service dog and an autistic boy in last Sunday's NY Times? Amazing. Gets ya to really thinking... Oh, yeah...it is officially "Paddy" Melt : )

      Delete