Saturday, May 5, 2012

Saw Dr. Dallas yesterday. She noticed my weight loss and commented on how good the scar tissue and puffy look and feel. Good news all around. Says I'm doing great. Lots of giggles and I half expected a pat on the rump as I exited the building. Instead in a grand gesture I raised my arms over my head as the automatic sliding doors opened giving the illusion that it was me parting the glass curtain. The bakery lady was impressed and gave me a big smile and a nod. She must see all types exiting those doors. She has a small bakery cart just outside the main lobby of oncology. Serving coffees and pastries to family and patients enduring the waiting. The emotion she must experience with each opening of those glass doors must be heart wrenching. The elderly couple holding each other up as they walk stooped shouldered past the baked goods...heads down, feet shuffling; the tween bravely sporting a flowered headband on a near bald head holding her mothers arm and whispering "it's going to be okay"; the wigged and jeweled power lady holding her head high exposing only the slightest fear in her firm jaw. What a parade that must be. All this flashes in my mind as I move past the cart to the next set of magical doors. I paused and waited. "Taa Daa". I grin and the doors open and I breath in the cool air. I look over my shoulder and, yep, she is grinning."Good" I think to myself. There is magic in these doors.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my god Annie, I cryed like a baby reading this and as I write I have no words to express myself. All I can say is Well done VADA well done.


    Love You,
    Mary Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Ms. V. Well done! So, it appears this IS the time to retire your blog! Amazing though. Through it you managed to teach us some pretty valuable lessons while allowing us to share your personal experience with breast cancer. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your story yesterday and have felt that breath of cool air with me all last night and into this morning. Taa Daa! You bet! Here is a virtual pat on your Drummy bottom. You have been so generous to share these moments with us! And with the coffee cart lady.
    Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete