Whew! When will this be over? Never, I suspect. I can't keep writing about how sore I am, how miserable I am, how down right pissed off I am. I am. This visit to the hospital was a little different. Tom dropped me off and returned to work. The hospital is beautiful. It's a place I'd like to go to just sit and sip coffee and read the paper. This adventure began with confirming my name. I've been going by Vada - this keeps my communications separate from work and family. It's also whats on my ID. Don't want to confuse anyone. So this morning the volunteer insisted my name was Anne. I said, "Vada". She said "Oh well it says here your name is Ann, She put down Anne." I shrugged, not knowing who "she" was, but chose not to argue but then said, "Vada", Vada Anne". Well, we're off to a good start. I followed Miss in Pink, in her nylon smock through the double doors, down the hall and to a private pre-op room. It was nice. New slip resistant socks (a big hit among the elderly-why are they always such ugly colors?), backless smock, warm blanket, electric leg warmers (for those pesty blood clots) and IV fluids, Yum. I had a CNA, LPN, RN, Technician and floor monitor checking me every 10 minutes. Checked in at 7:45am - Surgery at 9:15am. I was wheeled, and wheeled and wheeled and wheeled so far from my original location I had to ask the orderly if he was taking me to the parking garage. Just as I did he POPPED two big doors and I entered the surgery theater. Younng men introduced themselves and got busy with tasks at hand. The anaesthesiologist stole my pillow from under my head and said, "If you want your pillow you'll need to crawl over to this table". I hesitated . . . Did he just tell me to crawl over to the operating table? He did!! So I scooted my bare butt over into the waiting arms of a nurse/attendant who tugged on the sheet causing me to roll like a sausage. I answered all his questions, "what is Dr. K-H doing for you today?" I thought I heard a smirk- just another boob job - in his voice. I told him I was having the tissue expander removed from my right breast area. He asked if I was having an implant. I let him know No, the radiation damage had made this too painful and I elected to reverse the process. His tone changed. I think if he had read his notes he wouldn't have had me scoot my own bare ass. I also showed him my pink wrist band that singled DO NOT TOUCH THIS ARM. I had a little lympodema episode - my fingers and hand decided to swell. A vein in my arm "irritated" and was quite painful. It made me wince with pain each time I moved Finally drugs were administered, I didn't have to count backwards - the "heat" in my hand exploded and I remember saying "shit, that really hurts". Recovery - room. Nice sweet young ladies, giving me more meds.
I went back to my room. Dr. K-Hair visited, said all went well. Asked if I needed drugs, I said, yeah-sure. He checked my arm. He was more concerned about my arm than chest. My chest immediately felt so much better. I have a new drainage tube. Ahha! I have my ninja suit with built in drainage tube pocket. Long story short, my recovery was easy. Easy until the evening when my body decided to purge all the drugs in my system. I have a new appreciation for rehab. The next morning I was fine. Got up and wanted to (finally) clean my house. But I didn't. I now have a puffy pit with a lot of tugging, numbness and sensitivity. Tuck 'N Roll x 2. It's not over until it's over.
Sorry, this is me feeling a little sorry for myself. Having a little pitty party today. I just want to feel normal again. Me? Normal? Not sure what that is anymore.
Did you say party? Hey, why not – you’ve earned it! You’ve got a crowd hovering around you in spirit, yelling ‘brava’. You, dear sister are one brave bird.
ReplyDeleteHere’s to a speedy recovery back to Annenormal! Love you, #3
You have truly enlightened our lives exposing your fears and pain making us laugh and cry. Laugh and grow strong dear Anne you are our inspiration. "Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows" (Helen Keller)
ReplyDeleteLove you
#2