Good morning. My arms are just waking up. The tuck & roll just ever so lightly causing discomfort. I've GOT to get new glasses. The letters on the screen are all blurred, I'm typing from memory, hope it's not total crap.I've been away for awhile. Just a mental vacation. Took a break from the pokes and clip boards to normalize my life. "Good luck with that one" rattles in my head. Now I realize that it's the journaling that keeps me normal. So much has happened, so here goes.
The minnow (Tom nicknamed my car after the tour boat from Gilligan's Island - another story) splits a thick blanket of fog as I approach the freeway. This stretch of I-5 gets the most traffic yet there is always plenty of space to merge between the inter-state eighteen wheelers and the blue haired hat drivers. Being a new card caring member of the blue hairs I confidently hit the gas and make my move. Similarly to typing this journal I blindly maintain speed and set my course towards work. Being half city-town and half country almost anything can pop up on the highway. I expect a deer, a skunk or a homeless man pushing a wooden cart but what happened on this morning caught me totally by surprise. While I'm maintaining a respectable speed in the right lane the fog plays games and swirls, thickens, rises then Thunks on my windshield. Nothing. I continue to drive neck stretched forward, eyes fast on the road ahead, carefully watching for the next exit. In the distance the fog thins and I see movement on the road, I slow and pump my brakes to warn those behind me that I'm changing speed. It is very silent, only road noise in my ears. Then I see it. Standing firm, holding his ground, daring me to make my move. All time seemed to stop as I approached this beautiful creature in the road. He was not confused, just caught in the fog on the wrong side of the road. He knew what he had to do. Morning came without a warning and he lost track of time and found himself in the commuter lane. Wise and agile the coyote stepped aside, He watched me carefully as I passed. Our eyes met, his golden and alert. My first bit of visual clarity in years. I saw every bristly thread of his mane, the deep thick coat and bushy tail, the hot breath in the fog. I felt alive and hopeful for the coyote. It was surreal.
The fog hung around all day, but the next morning I saw no evidence on the side of the road that the creature hadn't successfully navigated the asphalt river. I saw hawks and turkey vultures, but no coyote or coyote remains. I'm pleased and angry at the same time. Pleases that nature works and angry that this creature had to face the minnow, knowing it wasn't a fair fight.
This minor experience reminds me that I really need to get new glasses. Or does it mean I need to take off my blinders? Whatever. I did resolve to being more aware of the world around me. The world, it seems, has thrown down the gauntlet. I rescheduled my physical therapy, saw my radiologist, am meeting with my oncologist, had a bone density scan, started taking hormone inhibitors, scheduled my next (left) mammogram, and will soon be seeing Dr. K-H to re initiate the chest expansion process. Oh boy. Gotta get new glasses, this new world is really worth seeing.
Hi Annie, I always look forward to your writing. Do you remember the fog in Fullerton off of Gilbert? When the rabbits and coyotes would run across the road. and sometime a coyote carrying a rabbit across the road. I think there some kind of life lesson here just not sure what it is. Love You : )
ReplyDeleteIt's comforting knowing that nature finds a way. I remember Fullerton fog and wildlife. Now all the coyotes wear sausage dresses and rarely bring home the bacon. I think I went to school with most of them... coyotes (wild canine-sausage lovers). Love you.
ReplyDeleteI remember the Fullerton fogs, so thick that on a few occasions I had to navigate the road by following the road lines looking down - out the open car door. Fog is rare in Pittsburgh. Fox, rabbits, and dear not so uncommon. OMG, is it a sign? I'm not kidding, while typing this note, a pair of Common Woodpeckers perched themselves in our backyard tree. I noticed them because one was protesting loudly that cat-Ira was sitting below them. No worries, Ira wasn't interested in them, he was by the door begging to come in. It's 5 degrees, wind chill surely below 0. Ira's face said it all; to hell with the birds, let me in!
ReplyDeleteJust because I wrote that we rarely have fog in Pgh, this morning we have, yep, fog! Yesterday morning temp started out at -1. This morning it's closer to 30, i.e. fog!! Had to have a wild life animal control company come to the house this morning to set up live traps. We appear to have something, maybe squirrel wintering in our attic. Never a dull moment. To be continued.....
ReplyDeleteI had a chicken hanging out for about three weeks in my yard. I hope no harm came to her.
ReplyDeleteMy laundry room smelled like something died in it. Now that Rudy isn't on patrol - I think Joey brings in loose meat and stores it behind the dryer. GROSS. He's getting weird in his old age.
ReplyDeleteOkay, we need to get the rest of the peckers on board her. This is more fun than regular EMail. I get too much junk in my VAN500 box.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat do you mean ,when you say loose meat?
ReplyDeleteFive days have past with nary a nibble of the peanut butter ritz crackers beautifully displayed in three live squirrel traps placed in the attic. Jim and I think trapper Steve must have spooked the little critter off with his constant chatter when preparing the traps. At least the squirrel didn't have to endure my fate; at eye level Steve's butt crack the size of the Grand Canyon and belly fat that could easily feed a small country. Oh my eyes....my eyes!!!
ReplyDeleteLoose meat: meat not contained, encumbered or packaged - without shell, or manufactured wrapping; free range fleshy food source of felines of the domestic and/or ferral kind, may include fuzzy like outer binding, or hairy coat, feathers or scales. Favorite snack time hor'devour of weekend warriors and arm chair quarterbacks.
ReplyDeleteMy eyes my eyes so sorry I asked.
ReplyDeleteNo additives or fillers. Soooo, no tacos! Our cats prefer to draw us into the hunt, dropping live vermin in our living room... When Cress & Dave lived in the Maryland outback their dog once brought home a deer head and another time a live chicken. Being vegetarians from the city, the head got buried and the chicken stealthly dropped into a nearby coup.
ReplyDeleteA deer head? Oh my stars . I would be screaming!!
ReplyDeleteGEEEeeeez! Ha ha ha ha ha haaaahaaaaaaa :)
ReplyDelete